Monday, 9 October 2023

Canadian Current Events

Visit to Fashion Mogul's Office Ended in Rape, Woman Testifies

💬

I'm a New York Times nerd, so when I went to play the daily crossword, I found this article about the Canadian Fashion Mogul, Peter Nygard, and his recent sexual assault and rape accusations. A woman- who's name, of course, remains anonymous due to a court order to protect sexual offence victims- came forward to a Toronto jury that Nygard sexually assaulted her when she was 28 after a Rolling Stones concert he had invited her to. She afterwards found herself stuck in the lavish bedroom of Peter Nygard's office building, where she was then allegedly raped by him after rejecting his sexual advances towards her. She was the first of five victims to appear in the court trial with similar accusations. Nygard, who is now 82, was accused of this all 2 years ago, which also include charges in Winnipeg and Manitoba. Federal prosecutors in Manhattan have since stated that Peter used his company and it's aspects to recruit both adult and minor female victims for the sexual gratification of him and his own associates. As expected, Nygard has pleaded not guilty to these charges and denied all accusations through lawyer statements.

💭

This article quickly gathered my attention. I have no clue who this Peter Nygard douche is, but I do know that it's very common for filthy rich, successful business owners to use their company and it's assets, such as money or social influence, to their advantage. More commonly, to their own perverted or just downright greedy advantages. And I know that being old, like withering-away-old, on top of being stinkin' rich, like could-relieve-poverty-in-at-least-two-or-more-cities-rich, can help some people get away with some pretty hardcore effed-up stuff. Like look at this man;

Bro's practically just a really fresh corpse. The people of the court will either dismiss everything because of the fact that he could be in his death bed any day now, and there would be little to no point in going through with these charges. Or, they will at the very least make him physically pay the victims. I don't know that much about Canada's laws, but I don't think Nygard would be taken into law-enforcement custody simply due to his age. Possibly even due to his net worth alone. 

👇


Which is so wrong to me. These women deserve justice, and with accusations like these I don't think it would be served without the offender locked up, or facing some sort of brutal consequence. There's literally nothing worse, as a victim of a sexual offence of any kind, than having to suffer the consequences of what someone else did to you. Staying silent, being turned down in court, having them plead not guilty, is the kind of suffering I'm talking about, on top of the suffering you endure all while just trying to recover from the pain and discomfort and humiliation that somebody else inflicted onto your life. Too many offenders get away with these things, or at least get an easy way out. The system has been rigged for too long.

Here are some other NYT articles on the trial;



(Ugh pls god if ur real u'll make the next blog post fun n cute n exciting)

(if ur real u'll also give me the ability to teleport. and shapeshift. and superspeed and ultra-intelligance)

1 comment:

  1. Does this make me god? That's exciting ;).

    Solid choices for your superhero abilities too. Teleporting is my #1. Shapeshifting is a close second.

    Your summary of the article was very well done-you are an engaging, witty, and talented writer! I agree with all of your sentiments-it is an incredibly frustrating and harmful situation that rears its head way too often, and one that is systematically problematic. You've identified a lot of the issues in a clear and impactful way. And "bro's just practically a fresh corpse" was a very apt description... (and a wonderful use of language, again).

    You are missing a large chunk of the actual assignment though :( This affects your mark ;(

    ReplyDelete

Book Review - Comic Edition! (The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman)

 I've been a fan of the Walking Dead since the show came out back in 2010. Actually, I remember my first time watching it quite well. It...