Read some articles today! Let's chat folks.
1. Libraries have thrived, despite technological developments.pdf - Google Drive
Some key factors Wong uses in this article to prove the relevance of libraries today is that libraries have adapted and evolved alongside technology, with e-readers, library catalogues, etc, libraries give access to the internet to those who may not have it at home. Libraries also hold loads of information that you may not be able to access online, at least, not for free.
I do agree that libraries will always be important. Technology is something we constantly have to adapt to as it moves forward. But reading and having that common area we call a library is something that everyone has experience with if you're over the age of 5 (at least). And it's not even just literature or studies, a library is a place MEANT for learning while also being a comfortable spot where you can be alone, or not, and work on what you need to do, or take breaks from what you need to do. Libraries are for everyone, while technology may not be. My future spawn will not be sat at the dinner table with an iPad mini wiping their crumby hands on the screen. They will go outside, go to the library, join a pottery club, I don't care, as long as they have a life beyond screens. Technology, in my opinion, is a responsibility. It is a distraction, so when they prove they can prioritize real life and balance it with something like tech and the internet, then we can talk. I'd like to believe libraries will always be relevant, because libraries and learning commons provide a calm space with little to no distractions where people can write, read, type, study, research, and even just hang out in a chill space. Not to mention that people are more enticed to read a book because of things like #BookTok to promote literature, and I don't think tiktok is going anywhere for a while, and there will always be another app we can use as well.
2. https://www.pressreader.com/canada/vancouver-sun/20111105/285559492132667
This article was mostly summing up advantages and concerns with technology and it's place in education systems. Here are some pros and cons included in the text:
Pros: Use of multimedia to increase engagement in learning - some kids may better understand and grasp information through visual learning (i.e. YouTube, Audiobooks, Delta Math, etc.)
Ya that's kind of the only pro I found, maybe I'm just dumb, but this article really grasped at the MANY downsides of technology.
Cons: alters excitement in learning for a percentage of students, EXPENSIVE, inhibits creativity, and children being exposed to technology at such young ages (8 and below)
North Vancouver's Waldorf School bans high-tech until the students reach highschool. They are taught in a more ideal and realistic fashion, and are exposed to more physical forms of learning. They are taught textiles, woodwork and metal work, and math, science, and language classes can be highly tactile and can even involve rhythmic movement. They do this to help their children develop coordination and concentration.
I think that, for elementary schools this system would be very helpful. Our younger generations hardly know a life without technology, because they are living in a world where it is not only normalised, but handed to them like candy on Halloween. At the end of the piece, the text ended by saying that children are more exposed to technology at home than at school. That is exactly why I think school is a perfect time for kids to just be kids and not have their eyes glued to screens in a place of education. However, I think that, not only has technology been very useful since I personally got into highschool, it's also harder to keep away from teenagers as we are at a new stage where we are better equipped to handle high-tech, and especially better equipped when technology wasn't as applied in our elementary days. We were able to learn without (or with less) technology first, and now we've adapted. Because we were given the chance to adapt. If I have kids, I would want them to be raised with better and healthier forms of education like I was. They betta not have no dang Amazon Alexa teaching them order of operations.
I actually don't feel like finding an article for this rn it's 2am and I still have more blogs to write (oops my fault ig)
I'll take the consequences. Whatever they are. Goodnight.
Good summary bad no article of your own :p
ReplyDeleteps-i'm glad your "spawn" will have to have an i-pad-less dinner time haha