The Fraser Heights library learning commons website provides information for students, parents, and teachers about our library and what it has to offer. There's a bio with Ms. PJ's email, library hours, and our digital resources and library catalogue. You can even look at the Hawk Word, which is our school magazine.
I did some research on other schools' libraries and learning commons and analysed their websites as well.
Johnston Heights
π I couldn't find any actual website, but there is a section in the school website for the learning commons, and they also have a facebook page.
π They call their space a learning common
π The school website is a very brief summary of their space, but the facebook seems to be more involved
π Their teacher librarian is Daniela Cauduro
π The school website included that they display student art work in the commons
Sullivan Heights
π The schools library homepage provides links to information about their space such as their catalogue
π They have a Pinterest linked on the page for students to look at new resources
π They also call it a learning commons
π The school teaches roughly 1550 students
Elgin Park
π They actually have a whole separate website for their learning commons and it was the first thing in my search fill when I typed "Elgin Park"
π Includes library hours which is one of the first things you'll see looking at the site
π If you can't come to the learning commons but want a book, you can actually place an order for a loan and the LLC staff will deliver
π Near the middle of the page is a list of quick links with coordinated icons
π They have a mission statement; "Our mission is to provide students with a safe, friendly and caring environment in which they can access resources and develop the skills, attitudes, and competencies to be life-long learners."
π There is a section about their teacher librarian, Melissa Bonn, that includes a photo of her, and a description including books she is currently reading and that she just finished.
Eldin Park's website was my favourite, because it was very detailed and had fun quirks as well, such as the mission statement and the teacher librarian profile.
Bonus: What was the best book I've read in 2023?
I really am tied between Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell and The Idiot Brain by Dean Burnett. They're two very different books, so it's hard for me to say which one I liked better. I enjoyed them both equally. I was drawn to both of them. Eleanor & Park was the cutest coming of age romance YA fiction novel. It was relatable, heartfelt, sad, but also very cutesy and made me happy when good things happened for the two main characters and their relationship. And I felt for them when more negative events fell onto them.
On the other hand, The Idiot Brain is a non-fiction written by a neuroscientist that explains how the human brain works in a way that can be easily grasped, considering how complicated our brains are. It fascinated me, and also answered a lot of questions that I've had throughout life as to why I do what I do, why I make the choices I've made, and so on. It helped me realise how passionate I am about learning about the brain and psychology. I see myself re-reading this book at least twice more during my lifetime.
I really think you should think about studying psychology in university..or something along those lines! Or maybe a mix of psych and something and you could eventually be a life coach or a therapist...I think you'd be really good at both of those! We are technically a learning commons too you know! And Eleanor & Park (<3 <3 <3)
ReplyDelete