Ms. PJ recommended this Graphic Novel style memoir by Maia Kobabe, is an American cartoonist and author who identifies as non-binary and asexual. e is also dyslexic and did not learn to read until age 11, which we see in the more beginning part of the book. Kobabe graduated with an MFA in comics from California College of the Arts. Eir work often displays themes of identity, sexuality, and anti-fascism. Gender Queer, being eir first full-length book, is about the journey of how e grew up discovering eir identity as a non-binary and asexual individual. I found it deeply inspiring, and could even relate as someone who is currently a cisgender AFAB. Everyone questions their identity, hopefully, at multiple points of their lives. I think it's important to listen to and share stories to and from people who are figuring things out themselves, or already have and hope help make the journey easier for others than it may have been on themselves.
Unfortunately, there are those who do not agree with the following, and therefore everyone with that same morality must suffer. That's right, unfortunately, Gender Queer is on the list of banned books, even in our very own school. People want it banned for "pornography."
Yeah, right.
I can't believe it's 2023, where society is supposedly 'making progress' and everyone can coexist. And yet, fascist bigots still cannot admit that they are fascist bigots, and thus make lousy attempts to cover their true opinions. I mean, come on. You either discriminate openly and move on, or choose to simply coexist peacefully. Don't ban a book for "pornography" when really it's just the fact that the "pornography" (aka artistic display of reproductive, sexual, hormonal experiences) is not within a heterosexual relationship. I could probably find umpteen hundred different books in our school library alone with the most vile, dirty, steamy, raw sex scenes between some generic white dude and a victoria's secret model-type woman. Seriously, nobody has a problem with Colleen Hoover. But when it's the exploration of LGBTQIA+ sexuality, all hell rains down upon earth apparently.
I've been traumatised by the heterosexual sadists in novels who enjoy tying their pleasure dolls up and performing carnage, actual carnage, on a woman's reproductive organs. But people think 50 Shade's of Grey is so hot, and thus so many women get the idea that roughness, degradation, and high-key rape-y behaviour is what makes up a good sexual experience. You see that in so many hetero romances. I mean, you like what you like I guess, but if I had the morals of those who want to ban GQ for the sexual scenes (that were actually light-hearted, kind of wholesome, and showcased acceptance and respect for a sexual partner), then I would be so quick to ban those books. (50 Shades is a good trilogy of course, IMO, however that's like purely because of Christian's character development)
Not once did I feel uncomfortable at any point during the reading of this book, and I really don't agree with it being on the banned book list. It's so obvious to me that GQ is on it due to bigotry, and nobody is noticing that or correcting it.
If I were a 12th grade Psychology teacher, I could see using Gender Queer for an assignment on gender identity and sexuality, and also including the effects book bans can curate for society.
(Wont let me embed)

I agree with everything you are saying here; not to mention that if anyone is concerned about pornography or "inappropriate" things, they should be much more concerned with the freaking internet. But I will not rant on this sunny beautiful morning. Good analysis of the book, and the central issue it discusses-although more detailed exploration of the theme of identity would have been interesting (it's still my most thought about aspect of life, even in my 40's haha). 50 shades was like cheetos for me. I"ll explain later. You're missing the criteria of the assignment you created, which lowers your mark. As always, enjoyable to read :)
ReplyDelete