Welcome back tiny blog ! I liked ya so much I came back. ๐
For my first blog of the semester, I've read 3 book reviews of my top reads so far. Here are my reviews of these reviews;
1. http://www.confessionsofabookaddict.com/2011/11/book-review-something-borrowed-by-emily.html
๐ญ I liked this review by Christina because the blog was charming, with pastel colours and pictures of herself with the author and smiling warmly, and it started out with a Goodreads review followed by her own. Her review not only focused on the book itself but also the author, Emily Giffen, as she'd had the experience of meeting her at a book signing. When the book was being described, it did so smoothly. It pretty much said exactly what my brain thought the entire time I read Something Borrowed. The predictability of Darcy's type, deluded, self-centred party girl. The best friend in Darcy's shadow having an affair with her fiancee, Rachel (the shadow) now has to decide whether or not to fight for her childhood friendship or a love that may last a lifetime. The review explained it all with Christina's own emotions put into it.
2. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/30/nest-kenneth-oppel-jon-klassen-review
๐ญ "The Nest" by Kenneth Oppel was my favourite book to read when I was intermediate in elementary school. Even to this day, I could probably read it over and over again. This book review, written by Marcus Sedgwick, describes Steve's story flawlessly, quoting the most relevant quotes from the book, without giving too much away. Sedgwick's review also recognizes the thought and personality he puts into his characters, with Steve's allergy to the wasps, and his past with OCD, not to mention the attention it shines on the relationship between him and his younger sister. Reading this review, I also remembered a lot about the book and how I felt every time I read it. I remember the first time I picked it up in 7th grade for silent reading. This review described that perfectly.
3. https://culturefly.co.uk/book-review-love-in-winter-wonderland-by-abiola-bello/
๐ญ I read Love In Winter Wonderland during the season, and it was by far one of my top YA romances this last year. I'm pretty sure this review was the longest of the 3 I chose, and that also gave the most detailed description of the novel without giving too much away about the actual story. It described Trey and Ariel (main characters) exactly how I would if I were to write my own review, delving into their reputations, characteristics, and personal goals. The text also kind of tickles the historical theme of the book, with Ariel's end goal of attending an Artist Studio in the footsteps of her father, and also Trey's family's independent book shop that's been carried through generations. It also delves into their personal issues, like Ariel's binge-eating disorder, Trey's complicated relationship with Blair and even a little about his crippling stage fright.
I also have been on the #BookTok side of my TikTok for you page for a while now, so here are some of my favourite booktokkers to watch reviews/recommendations!
@jolie_reads on TikTok - I just really like her vibe and we have a very similar book style. I also love the room that she makes her BookToks in and the fact that she has so many books she reached library status is insane to me and I literally want to be her.
@storieswithsierra on TikTok - I depend on her for horror/thriller recommendations.
Good job reviewing the reviews! I look forward to yours :)
ReplyDelete