Monday, 2 October 2023

FH Library Resources

Pt.1 I picked out some of the many databases from our library's digital resources that I think would be useful to students here at Fraser Heights;


1. Gale: Canada in Context 

This site provides regularly updated research material, such as magazines, articles, etc, on various Canadian topics from a Canadian perspective.

Some examples for how this database could help out students are;

- Law 12 students could use an article about the Canadian criminal justice system to help prepare for a mock trial.

- Social Studies 9 could use this database to research for an essay on Canada in the war of 1812

- Creative Writing 11 could do research on Canadian Literature and be assigned to write a paper on a Canadian author of their choice.

2. Discovery Education Math Texbook

A digital math and science textbook.

- This could be used in an 8th grade math or science class. Students have access to text books on both subjects and can then complete assignments on the website. Pretty much just makes text book work digital, might be easier to complete homework if students have accessible technology outside of school. Plus, during school I find that younger kids work better digitally because it's more fun I guess? I mean that's why I worked better I know that for sure lol.

3. Gale: Science in Context

- Provides information on science and how it connects to real world issues like hereditary diseases and chemical reactions and so on.

- Physics students could use this site to research for a paper on the theory of Schrodinger's Cat.

- Earth Science 11 students can read an article about biodiversity to prepare for a unit test.

4.  Know BC

A literary database that includes encyclopedias, literature, and even blogs that include various information on our Beautiful British Columbia.

- Social Studies students can use this site to research BC & Indigenous history using the articles and blogs provided. They could use this information for many possible assignments.

5. EBSCO Green File

This database covers all aspects of environmental impact caused by human life.

- Environmental Science 12 students can use this database to research for assignments about global warming, sustainable agriculture, technology, habitat loss, and various other aspects of environmental issues.

- Earth Science 11 students can study for a research paper about invasive species.

Pt. 2 I also found a couple video streaming databases I'd like to share as well;

1. CBC Curio

CBC Radio's online streaming service that contains news, documentaries, children's programs and other streamable content.

- I found this video through the website titled "Boys Will Be... Themselves" published by Absolutely Canadian. "A strong and sensitive look at the ways expectations around “what it means to be a man” are changing in the 21st century." Is what they wrote in their description. This video seems to be a social experiment done on boys and men of various age groups being asked what it means to 'be a man.'

Boys Will Be.. Themselves

2. Gale: Global Issues in Context

Along with print resources, this database also provides video clips and documents on international topics.

- I found a clip in the Gale Video Series' under the section Government, Politics, and Law that pretty much just explains what identity theft is and how to avoid having your identity stolen.

Identity Theft

1 comment:

  1. Good database choices and some solid ideas for how teachers or students could use them. As usual, more detail = better ;). Also, be aware of font colour/highlighting-I cannot read the last part very easily. You also didn't choose what movie YOU would want to watch (arguably the most interesting part of the assignment?) There are some great ones on there! Very interesting choice from CBC Curio though; nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review - Comic Edition! (The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman)

 I've been a fan of the Walking Dead since the show came out back in 2010. Actually, I remember my first time watching it quite well. It...