http://www.discoveringtheremarkable.com/blog/best-podcasts-for-schools-librarians
Out of the top ten favourite podcasts for school librarians from this blog, I chose #4, TED: How To Be A Better Human. I chose this one as I have been and still am on a self betterment journey. I strive to be a better version of myself each day. The episode I chose is titled "How to make generosity contagious w/ Chris Anderson." The focus in this episode is on exploring ways to inspire and spread acts of generosity, delving into true stories, insights, and practical tips to help encourage their demographic to incorporate more generosity into their lives and motivate others to do the same. I haven't listened to it yet, so we'll jump to the future when I have.
⏲ ...
After listening, here are my thoughts;
💭 The part that most struck my interest was the common reality that people who earn less tend to give more. I live in one of the last few campgrounds in and around Surrey, BC. The city has made it official that they will be closing it down sometime within the next 3 years. My parents, who are the park caretakers, have said it is due to higher class homeowners in my neighbourhood who want to turn it into, yet another, community park. I would think either that or more town homes. They think this campground is an eyesore, and if this is true, very little thought is given for the people who live under the more affordable housing conditions of the park. If this park closes down, many people, majority are seniors over 50 years of age, may lose their homes. I grew up lower-middle class (as society would lable) and I heard a lot, growing up, a stereotype that people who are filthy rich are less likely to donate to the less fortunate than others. I think that, (once again) if that were true, it's because people who have all the money they could ever wish for forget that not everything is about money. As the podcast mentioned, acts of generosity can be spread in many different ways, such as giving time and energy into a good cause rather than strictly materials. When people achieve such high value in their own lives, greed can take over (it happens to the best of us) and we forget to see value in other aspects and inspire and guide others to achieve that sense of value as well.
(keep in mind i don't have any negative opinions about people who are more or less fortunate, we all have lives and success of our own. this is just based on the connections I can make with the things I heard growing up/the things I hear today and the podcast.)
💭 3 things I learned from this episode:
1. Impact of generosity: I learned about the substantial impact that acts of generosity can have on people and their communities, exploring how even such small gestures such as helping your grandmother weed her garden, for example, can lead to significant positive change.
2. Creating a ripple effect: The podcast discussed how these acts of generosity can inspire others to engage in similar behaviour, emphasising the infectious nature of kindness and the many ways it might contribute to creating a more compassionate society.
3. Practical tips for generosity: This episode taught me a plethora of practical tips and strategies for incorporating generosity into my everyday life. It encouraged me to find more ways to contribute to the well-being of others and really make a positive difference.
💭 I think that having access to this episode can contribute to the overall educational and general life experience of students by promoting positive values (acts of kindness, generosity, selflessness, happiness, etc) that encourage them to make a positive impact on our community. Hey! Here's a bonus: Maybe we can put a minor stop on all the 9th grade drama. (No bc the beef is always so extra) Another positive would be that the episode could be incorporated into social and emotional learning (SEL) programs, providing content that supports students' emotional development and interpersonal skills.
Bonus:
Over my two weeks of winter vacation, I mostly lazed around either my house or my boyfriend's in cozy sleepwear and fluffy sock-slippers. I drank lots of hot cocoa, went to two different christmas dinners and my boyf's mom's annual christmas party (she made me a margarita bc i'm officially old enough to drink with the adults, lot legally, but like idk morally i guess.)
I got to go gift shopping for my friends which felt really good because I love to give gifts. I'm really good at shopping for other people, because I pay attention to those who are important to me and memorize things they do, what they enjoy, etc. I also got some pretty sick christmas gifts like clothes, a new tarot set, and a FREAKING ELECTRIC MILK FROTHER BECAUSE I'M WHAT? B O U J I E.
You are correct that greed is often at the root of people's selfishness around giving. I also have seen that, at this school at least, there is a sense of "rich people deserve to be rich because they worked hard" and thus the assumption that if someone is less well off, they are lazy. This is ridiculous, obviously. Loved reading this (ohhh if we could stop Grade 9 drama...that would be amazing), and love the SEL idea! Sounds like your christmas holiday was pretty magical; i also got a milk frother recently and felt super bougie but also love it deeply. milk just tastes so much better frothed! I also love giving gifts; it's one of my fave things. If I was rich I'd just give gifts all day long.
ReplyDelete